The Nutcracker is a holiday tradition and a treat for audiences of all ages. Be transported to a magical place filled with adorable children, marching toy soldiers, a glowing thirty foot christmas tree, mischievous mice, waltzing snowflakes and the Land of Sweets. Experience the classic music, drama and dancing with the City Youth Ballet
*The City Youth Ballet is hosting it's 2nd annual Tutu Trot to benefit the 2014 Nutcracker. The 5K & Fun Run will be held on Saturday, Oct 25th. All runners are encouraged to come in their best tutu! See us for more info or to register.
*Birdies Fore Ballerina's will be held on Friday, Nov 7th at Tillery Tradition. This golf tournament will include lunch & a complimentary ticket to the Nutcracker performance. If you would like to be a part of this fun event, you may register at AAD or with any Nutcracker cast member.
*Clara's Tea Party will be held on Saturday, November 29th from 10am-11:30am at the Stanly County Agri-Civic Center. This event is for young ladies & gentlemen ages 3 & up and includes refreshments, a backstage tour of the set, a keepsake nutcracker & photo with Clara plus a ticket to the Nutcracker. AAD students please check your student folders for more details or click the link below for information or to register.
Seating is limited, so register early.
Wear Your Costume to Class
To continue with our fall festivities, all students are invited to wear a costume to class the week of October 27-31. Please make sure that the costume doesn't hinder your movement and that you are still able to wear the appropriate dance shoes. No Costume? You may wear dance wear of your choice instead of the regular required class attire. You are welcome to wear colorful leotards, dance shorts, etc as long as you still wear tights and are able to move easily.
Although we communicate with you mainly by email, from time to time we will place important items such as reminders, special event info or class handouts in your student folder. Every student has a folder located in the lobby of AAD. Please check or remind your dancer to check their folder weekly.
You can now purchase tickets to City Youth Ballet's 2014
Production of the Nutcracker at AAD or online at the following link:
Please let us know if you have any questions!
|Dear Parents & Students, |
Our fall/winter session is in full swing and we are thoroughly enjoying all of our students. We have lots of special events and studio happenings taking place over the next few months so we ask that you take time to read all correspondences from AAD and please let us know if you have any questions. Check the "news" section of our website (www.albemarleacademyofdance.com
) and "like" us on Facebook
to get the latest information and make sure we are on your approved email contacts so that our newsletters don't get sent to your SPAM folder.
to Mrs Hillary and her husband, Cody on the birth or their daughter
Harper Claire Mcswain!
Mrs. Hillary will be absent from the studio as she spends this much-needed time with her family. For this reason, there will be occasions when no one will be available at the front desk. If you have questions that do not need immediate assistance, please complete a contact form or email us. For immediate assistance, please locate an instructor for help. Thank you for your patience with us while we are all missing Mrs. Hillary.
Miss Jesse would like to invite the parents of her Monday 4:45-Junior Ballet and Monday 6:45 Young Ballet classes to attend the last 5-10 minutes of class on Monday, September 29th for a quick, informal showing of what the students are learning.
Mrs. Mary's Monday 5:30 Young/Primary Hip Hop class is focusing on learning a new skill each week that they will be using in future choreography projects. Be sure to ask your dancer about their weekly dance step.
Stay tuned for news, events and updates from all of our classes!
Our students need the correct dance 'tools' in order to be successful in class. These 'tools' allow the teacher to correct body alignment and spot students and allow the students to focus on their technique and reduce the risk of injury.
These 'tools' include attire, shoes and hair accessories.
All female ballet, jazz & modern students should be in a solid teal or solid black leotard with ballet pink tights (convertible or footed) with hair pulled securely out of the face in a ballet bun (all ballet levels junior & up)or a tight ponytail. Male students should be in a tight-fitting, sleeveless shirt with short, non-baggy athletic pants.
HipHop students should wear sneakers & comfortable dance attire to class - no jeans or pants with zippers.
If you are unsure of our dress code for your class, please check our website.
It's Nutcracker Season!!
Our resident ballet company 'The City Youth Ballet' is preparing for our bi-annual production of the magical, holiday ballet THE NUTCRACKER. We are thrilled that so many of our students are participating in this production. Soon, the studio will be filled with costumes, sets and all things Nutcracker as our dancers, artistic staff, parents and board of directors prepare for this huge event. We hope that you will all support these dancers and the 'City Youth Ballet' by participating in upcoming fundraising events such as the TuTu Trot 5K, Birdies FORE Ballerinas Golf Tournament, Yankee Candle Sale or by donating your time and talents by volunteering in one of the many planning aspects.
Albemarle Academy of Dance
26810 Ross Drive
Albemarle, NC 28001
Albemarle Academy of Dance
News & Events
Sept 1, 2014
26810 Ross Drive
Albemarle, NC 28001
Dates to Remember
Monday, September 8, 2014
Nutcracker Auditions:Saturday, September 13, 2014
Thanksgiving Holiday:Wednesday, November 26-Friday, November 28, 2014
Friday, December 5-Sunday, December 7, 2014
Christmas Vacation: Monday, December 22, 2014-Friday, January 2, 2015
Parent Viewing Week:February 2-6, 2015
Monday, April 6-Friday, April 10, 2015
Monday, May 25, 2015
Rehearsals for Recital:June 15-June 19, 2015
Saturday, June 20, 2015
Dance Parent 101 Sessions
We will be holding a 'Dance Parent 101' session for each of the class levels. This information session will give parents an opportunity to ask questions related to your child's dance & performing arts education. Our staff will be sharing plans & goals for your child's classes, as well as offering insight on ways you can help your child benefit from their performing arts eduction. Dates for these sessions will be announced very soon!
Remember to check us out on Facebook for up-to-date news and announcements
Dear Parents & Students,
We are so excited about the upcoming year. We can't wait to have all of our current and new students in class with us! This e-mail has a lot of information to help you with the first week of classes. Please read everything carefully, and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you might have.
Our classes start on Monday, September 8th.
What to Expect the First Week of Class
1. The studio will be crowded the first few weeks of classes. This will settle as students and parents get accustomed to their classes and schedule.
2. Like school, the first couple of weeks are review, and getting everyone comfortable with new classes and new teachers. Instructors will also spend this time evaluating students to make sure everyone is in the best class for them. If a teacher feels that your child would benefit more from a different class, we will contact you and discuss all of your options.
4. Combo classes and classes that are held consecutively, will need to have their shoes each week when entering class. The teacher will let the students know which shoes to wear first. Please put shoes in a dance bag that they will bring in with them. Put your child's name in all shoes and on the bag. The teachers will help dancers change shoes to the appropriate shoes during class and in between classes
5. Please have students dressed appropriately for class with their required leotards, tights and shoes. Hair should be pulled back and away from the face in a secure pony. Ballet buns are required for levels 5 and up. A loose bun is fine as long as it is secured to the head. Please contact us if you need to order any dance wear; we will be happy to take care of that for you.
6. The parking lot at the studio will be crowded. Please plan to arrive a few minutes early and be courteous to others. Parking is available in the back lot (directly off hwy 52) and the front lot (Ross Drive).
7. It is best to get your dancer in class on-time, ready to dance. Students who are late will not get ample time to stretch.
8. The youngest dancers will often have tears or anxiety the first few weeks. This is normal. Our teachers are trained to get children on task quickly. It is not uncommon to have a few dancers on a few hips the first month of class! It may take several classes for new students to adjust. If the problem is not improving from week to week, the instructor will speak with you about possible solutions. The best way to ensure success is to assure your child that they are going to have fun.
9.The class assistants will line-up the students in the waiting area 2-3 minutes before class and take them to class together. Parents will not go into the classrooms with the students; however, they are welcome to remain in the waiting area to view students on the monitors, or to leave and return when your child's class is over.
10. Please have all dancers use the restroom before class. Teachers will gladly take them if they do need to go during class, but this can be a disruption.
11. Every staff member wants your experience at AAD to be positive and rewarding. Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can help you in any way.
- Roles are available for males & females
- Any child age 5 & up can participate in The Nutcracker
- No previous dance training required. You do not have to be an AAD student to participate
- We make every effort to cast all who audition
Saturday, September 13
Albemarle Academy of Dance
26810 Ross Drive - Albemarle, NC
- Ages 5-8
- Corps de Ballet, Apprentice & Extras
- Ages 9 & up
- First Artist, Principle Character, Corps de Ballet roles
- Ages 12 & up with strong classical ballet technique.
- Females who are very proficient in pointe work, should be prepared to audition in pointe shoes.
- Principle, First Soloist, Soloist, Demi Soloist Roles
You can register to audition at AAD or online at uwharrieyoutharts.com
Complete the audition application and pay the $30 audition fee by September 6th, and you will receive one free ticket to the performance!
We are looking forward to another great year with our awesome students!
Albemarle Academy of Dance
New Classes Added
Since many of our 2014/15 classes are currently full with dancers on the waiting list, we are pleased to be able to add a few classes to our schedule. We are now accepting registration for these classes and they will begin once we have at least five students registered for each.
Thursdays - Level:Primary 2/Young
5:15-5:45 - Tumble
5:45-6:30 - Ballet
6:30-7:00 -Jazz/Hip Hop
7:00 - 7:30 - Musical Theatre
Mondays - Level: Teen/Adv Prep
7:30-8:30 - Ballet
Don't forget fall classes will start on September 8th!
If you haven't registered yet, or need assistance with registration, please contact us or click the 'classes' link for real time class availability or to register online.